Stage 4: Transition to Scale
We have developed low cost kit for extraction of RNA/DNA from human blood, and arealtime PCR kit for detection of hepatitis C virus RNA. We have also developed automated liquid handling device that can perform 6 basic laboratory functions.
Health, Entrepreneurship and Private Sector Competitiveness
Health, Entrepreneurship and Private Sector CompetitivenessSEE LESS
Funds Raised to Date
Low cost detection of infections in low resource settings.
Developing kits and instruments for a complete platform for detection of nucleic acids of infectious agents.
There are 150 millions infected with hepatitis C around the globe (around 8 millions of these are in Egypt). The system can be adjusted for detection of other infections such as HIV, hepatitis B virus, Tuberculosis, etc. Low income countries in Africa and Asia would benefit from this solution.
Mission and Vision
Low cost diagnostic solution to enable more segments of the population to access health services.
Decentralization of health service.
Assist global efforts for detection and monitoring of infectious diseases.
1. Starting with a blood sample, we can use the nucleic acid extraction kit for isolation of high quality, purity nucleic acids. This can be done manually.
2. The automated liquid handling system can be used for extraction of nucleic acids of high purity and yield.
3. The extracted nucleic acids (RNA or DNA) can be amplified (using specific primers/probes) for detection of specific infections. We have already developed a kit for specific detection of HCV RNA.
4. The amplification of nucleic acids requires a realtime thermal cycler. We have prepared and submitted a grant proposal for developing a low cost realtime thermal cycler which has received initial high reviews by the funding agency in Egypt.
1. Low cost kits and instruments which could be suitable for low resource settings.
2. To the best of our knowledge, there is no similar system to the automated liquid handling system which we have developed.
3. There are several technical details employed in assembling the kits and instrument(s) as compared to existing solutions.
Planned Goals and Milestones
1. Beta testing of the nucleic acid and realtime PCR HCV kit.
2. Finalizing the commercial production of the automated liquid handling system.
3. Building a low cost realtime thermal cycler.
4. Preparation of lyophilized PCR reagents for remote detection of infections.
5. Testing the entire system in remote locations.
|Projected Cumulative Lives Impacted||10,000,000|
|New Implemented Countries||Egypt|
|Recruit||2 management, 1 advisor, 1 engineer, 2 biomedical researchers|
|New Feature||Create low cost comprehensive platform for detection of nucleic acids of infectious agents |